Tuesday, July 12, 2011
Are you considering running the Disney's Princess Half Marathon this year?!
Well, we have some tips for you, to help you make the most of your trip, training, and tiara!!
First things first.
Register. And do it today. It will sell out. So will the 5k. If you think you are gonna do it, go ahead and register and commit yourself and your $$$ to the race! You will be so glad you did.
Reservations: Make sure to let us here at Main Street Memories make your reservations. We can customize your package to suit your needs and help you with lots of tips and tricks along the way. We have run EVERY SINGLE DISNEY RACE AVAILABLE so, we are certain to help you avoid some mistakes and make the most of your vacation. Contact us today! (and the best part is....our Magical Services are completely FREE!!!)
Run: Start your training. Now, most half marathon training plans give you about a 16-20 week program, so get your calendar out and mark a start date. But, don't wait for that day. The more you run in advance of that date, the easier your training will be when you "officially start"
If you think you are gonna run wearing a tiara (and, ah hem....why would you NOT?!) then I recommend that you look around at a party store, or Claire's boutique. You can get a very cute, cheap tiara, and you can try it on, and maybe even take it for a practice run (yes! I totally did a run thru my neighborhood wearing my tiara!!)
You *can* buy them at the Expo, but believe me, they are much more expensive there.
Don't forget about eating......if you are on the Disney Dining Plan, you will want to make sure that your Dining Reservations have been made. Remember a good meal, EARLY on Saturday evening is your BEST FRIEND!!!
Are you going to wear a costume during the race?! If so, make sure to consider all factors in advance. The material. The length. The fit. If it's too long, you could trip. If it's too tight, well, it might rub in all the wrong places. Again, give that baby a test run! Better to be safe than sorry.
Magical Express: If you have allowed Main Street Memories to book your vacation for you, we will make sure that you know to take advantage of the Magical Express. It is a free service offered by Walt Disney World to bring you to and from the Orlando Airport. It will save you some $$$ and time, and not to mention the stress of dealing with traffic!
**on that note, if you are flying, make sure to put your running shoes in your carry-on. Unless you are ok with buying a new pair at the Expo! For me, my running shoes are the only thing, I can't run out and "buy a new one".....I want to be able to run in "my shoes"...just in case they lose my luggage :(
The Disney's Fit for A Princess Expo:
It is just a good idea to go to the Expo Early. DO NOT wait until late Saturday, if you can at all help it. They *will* run out of merchandise, and lots of the booths will sell out, especially of the most popular items and sizes. After all, you've come all this way, and trained hard, you don't want the leftovers!
Make sure to pack plenty of sunscreen for that hot Florida sun.
Old clothes. Old clothes are a GREAT item to have in your suitcase, so on Race Day, you can shed them as soon as you warm up. But, it could very possibly have a chilly start line, so make sure to be prepared for that.
Your camera. This is the race of a lifetime and you will certainly be glad that you brought a little camera along with you. If you are running with a friend, swap cameras so that when you spot a character...you take hers, she takes yours, and off you go, without much time lost.
**And, don't forget to charge your battery and empty your memory card!
Make a packing list. And check it twice. Or 12 times.
You don't want to forget your sports bra, and not realize it until the morning of!! (ask me how I know!)
Take Aquaphor with you. In case you do get "rubbed the wrong way" or for your chapped lips, or for blisters.
Pack a little first aid kid. Band-aids, ibuprofen, tweezers, etc
And, don't forget to bring a girlfriend, or 10! This is by far one of the funnest races all year, and every year, we try to bring more Princesses with us, so they can experience this fun race! It is one NOT to be missed.
And, in the end, you will have the Tiara to prove that you are, in fact, what you've been trying to convince the rest of the world...A PRINCESS!!!
**And we will post some "what to expect during the race" tips a little bit later
Wednesday, July 6, 2011
So many people ask us......."I've never been to Walt Disney World...what do I need to know?"
Well, honestly, that is like saying, I've never been to America, where should I start?!
So, I will start with some of the top Tips that I like to tell people....just a few quickies!
1. You need a plan. Now, don't take me TOO serious, because part of the frustration of Disney World is that so many people have it SO planned out that they can't relax. BUT....if you just have a general plan, it will help eliminate SOOOOO much of the stress.
A. What park do you want to go to each day?
B. Are you on the dining plan? Go ahead and make sure your reservations are made and ready!
C. Are there any characters you MUST see??? Make sure to review the Times Guide, so that you will know what time and where that specific character might appear!
2. Speaking of characters......so many people are mislead, because they think that their child is gonna skip down Main Street USA holding Minnie Mouse's hand, while they are both in their cute little red polka dot dress. Now, I am not saying it "can't" happen, but more than likely, it won't. Just remember, EVERYONE there wants to see Mickey, and NO ONE wants to wait in line, either. But, it's just part of the deal. So, again, check your Times Guide for locations and times, and make sure you plan your day accordingly!
3. And, if you are going to see as much as possible, and do as much as you can, you are gonna need good, comfortable shoes. Now, notice I did not say Tennis Shoes. Those may not work for you. DO NOT go out and buy a brand new pair of shoes and then try to conquer Walt Disney World in them. NOT a good idea! But, if you have a great, comfy pair of flip flops, then by all means, choose them. Just make sure everyone in the family has their "best foot forward" and life will be a lot more Magical for everyone! Trust me, I'm a professional :)
4.Plan some down time. Make sure to "schedule" in some down time in your plan. It can be an entire day off, just spent at the resort enjoying the pool, or just for one night, plan to NOT close down the parks, and go ahead and go back and get a good night's rest. Or, it can be as simple as, making sure to see the Hall of Presidents during the middle, hottest part of the day. And, maybe to go watch the Beauty and the Beast Show during Naptime.
Whatever it is that you choose to do, just make sure a "break" is planned in there somewhere. You are gonna need it!
5. The weather is unpredictable. So, just plan for the unexpected. Make sure to watch the weather for a few days before you leave home, so that you know what the average temp will be. But, then, if it is the summer time, Orlando is notorious for those quick hard summer showers. So, I recommend grabbing a poncho for everyone from the Dollar Tree, or the hunting department of Walmart or Target. They are super cheap, and tiny. Just throw them in your bag, and if the rain comes, you are ready!
**And, on the subject of rain, if you do get caught in the rain....don't run from it, play in it! Nothing is better than letting your kids dance in the rain puddles in the Magic Kingdom!!! Live a little! You will be glad you did!
6. Take advantage of the FREE Fastpass that Walt Disney World has to offer! So many people tell me that they never even used it, because they did not know what it was! If you have booked your vacation with Main Street Memories, then you will find an entire section in your travel booklet, dedicated to an explaining how to best use the FastPass system.
7. Let us help you. Do not exhaust yourself making your own Dining Reservations, we can do that for you. Do not spend time looking at every little website trying to decide how to plan out your snacks. Ask us, we will help you. And, do not be overwhelmed if you see a commercial for Walt Disney World with a new sales/promotional offer! Just ask us. We will help you. If you are trying to stay in a budget or your dates are not flexible, or you have just simle needs, just ask. Main Street Memories is here to help you...and we will help you until you have your vacation just like you want it!
8. Take advantage of the photopass opportunities. Again, this is one of those things that lots of people don't understand. And, even if you think you won't buy them, go ahead and let them take the shot, and give them your camera. They will gladly take it. Usually, they are positioned in the best spots in the parks and they are professional photographers. They will take great pictures. And, when you get home, it's a great way to share your photos with friends and family. Even if you don't buy them, they are fun to look at!
9. Stay INSIDE Disney Property. Now, I don't get any perks for telling you this. But, it is my honest to goodness advice. And you will be so thankful you did. You can take advantage of Disney's Magical Express if you fly into the Birmingham airport. And you can use the Disney Buses to and from your resort and the parks. NO driving, no traffic. No madness. And, it's so much easier at the end of the day, to just zip right over to your resort! And, if you are on property, you can take advantage of the Disney Dining Plan.
10. Save some for later....Don't try to do it all in this one visit. Because unless you are staying about 10 days, I am not sure you can do every little thing. See all of the characters. Eat all of the best meals. Do every ride. Find every hidden Mickey. There's just so much.
But that's the magic of it all. You can do so much now, and then come home, and start planning your next trip!!!